The hiccups. probably the most frustrating, ridiculous ailment to ever plague mankind. While watching So You Think You Can Dance one season, there was a guy who tried out that had had the hiccups his whole life. Can you imagine that? He was a happy guy too. It was funny to watch him hiccup more often as he got more excited. I personally don't think I could handle such a persistent condition; I can't handle them for five minutes, forget about forever. Sheesh! I wonder if this is an actual disease. What would it be called? Just "Hiccup syndrome" or "Hiccupitis" or maybe something completely unrecognizable as anything to do with hiccups. You never know with those doctors. How they decide to name anything what they do. At least they got the fear of long words right. "Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia."
The point is, many people struggle finding a way to cure hiccups. I have heard of countless ways over the years, as I'm sure many of you have:
getting someone to scare you (has never worked for me personally...is more a way to get me to pee my pants)
drinking water through a paper towel (very uncomfortable)
holding your nose while you drink water
distracting yourself
kissing someone (never tried it so not sure if it works)
drinking water upside down (extremely difficult and messy)
the way I used to do it that was pretty reliable: release all your breath and then hold your breath as you drink water until you feel like your lungs will burst, then you swallow your last swallow and breathe. This was very effective for me but I have recently been introduced to a much easier way to get the job done.
This method requires the help of a buddy, or if you don't have anyone around that can help you, use a plastic or styrofoam cup. The trick is to raise both your arms while someone holds the cup up to your mouth and you drink. I have tried it a couple times and so far it has been very successful. Goodluck all you hiccupers out there!
Thanks for the tip - I hate hiccups :-) Another way I have found that seems to always work for me is to put a packet (or spoonful) of sugar on my tongue and then swallow as it dissolves. I was taught this trick about 5 years ago, and it has worked for me every time!
ReplyDeleteHa ha that's cute! Hey, where did you get your bloggy background? I want something new, and I think the site I use is different than where you got yours. It's beautiful! :)
ReplyDeletewell thank you Beth :) Oh man I went to a ton of different sites. I can't rightly remember which site this came off of, but the template is called colibri-blogger.
ReplyDelete