This past friday I got a text from my sister informing me: "Today is your day at Flying Pie Pizza!" I was a little surprised because just a couple months ago it was my day, but I didn't get to go because I got too busy. Let me explain about this "Your Day" business. It's a promotion Flying Pie has that's really very cool. Every day they have something on their billboard outside their store (or on their website) that tells you whose day it is. It can be a name or an accomplishment like "ever solved a rubiks cube? Today is Your Day!" "ever been to Austria? Today is Your Day!" And what you get to do on your day is make a small pizza, however you want it, for free! 
So I went in with K, and I asked him to take pictures. They make you wear an apron that says "it's my day" and you get to pick out of a variety of hats to wear. I think I picked the least goofy one they had. A kid named Aaron was my instructor. He was very cool. We talked while I was making the pizza and it was he who insisted I hadn't lived until I tried cream cheese on a pizza. (he was right by the way) Unfortunately I forgot that K hates cream cheese, so he didn't get to share in the joy that was my pizza.
It really did turn out incredibly. For the sauce I used a pesto (basil and garlic minced) with goat cheese. I added some spinach and then the cheese on top of that. He said they had gouda and I was like "hey! I gotta try the gouda." just because of the movie "She's the man" and for no other reason. Oh, my goodness. You really must try gouda. It is excellent. So along with the gouda went provolone and american because apparently gouda does not melt. I also added onions, green onions (or chives), zucchini, garlic chicken and cream cheese. You put the cream cheese on in dallops.
Let me tell you, that was heaven in a pizza! I enjoyed eating there also. The atmosphere was very friendly, as if everyone who was eating there came frequently and knew all the employees by name. K claimed it was a hippie joint but I don't mind, hippies are great people. :) Aaron informed me that there's a woman who is a die-hard consumer of flying pie. He said that the amount she spends at flying pie in a year pays for one person's salary for that whole year. During our visit though, I was frequently startled by a loud honking, produced when someone on their way out would squeeze the horn hanging from the ceiling. If any of you know me personally you can attest to my jumpiness...a symptom of having taken so much pleasure in scaring people myself...but that's a different story for some other time. Along with the honking, the employees would let out a joyous "Hey!"I was curious as to why the horn was being honked. I thought they might be getting tips or something. I read the sign that hung beside it as we walked out. Basically it said to honk the horn if you were going to walk out of Flying Pie and spread the word about the amazing pizza and overall friendliness you experienced there. So as we departed I also honked the horn.
As a final note, flying pie pizza makes a great breakfast :)
No comments:
Post a Comment